Skip to Main Content

U-Brew U-Vin

Saskatchewan businesses can obtain a permit to offer U-Brew and U-Vin services in Saskatchewan. These permitted businesses can offer supplies, space, equipment and expertise for customers who want to make wine and beer for personal consumption.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is U-Brew/U-Vin?

A U-Brew/U-Vin business is a liquor-permitted business that sells ingredients and services for customers to make wine, beer, coolers and cider for private consumption. U-Brew/U-Vins provide space at the store and expertise to allow you to brew your wine and beer right at the store.

Who can open a U-Brew/U-Vin?

Businesses that want to offer U-Brew/U-Vin services must obtain a liquor permit and follow federal, provincial and municipal regulations and legislation pertaining to such a business. U-Brew/U-Vin outlets most commonly operate in conjunction with businesses that sell wine and beer kits.

What types of alcohol can be made at a U-Brew/U-Vin store?

Businesses can offer the service for wine, beer, cider or wine cooler products.

Are there any special rules for customers who use a U-Brew/U-Vin service?

Customers must make at least two visits to the business. On the first visit, they must pay for all the ingredients and start the fermentation process. The customers must also sign a declaration that the wine, beer, coolers or cider produced is for personal use to be consumed in a private place. During the second visit, customers must prepare the bottles, bottle the product and either remove the product from the store or make arrangements with the business to have the product delivered to the customer’s home immediately (u-brew/u-vin businesses are prohibited under the federal Excise Act from storing product that has been finished and bottled).

Is sampling of the products allowed?

Yes, customers can sample up to a total of 200ml per batch of their own product.  Sampling can only take place prior to bottling.

Are minors allowed at U-Brew/U-Vin businesses?

Yes, but anyone under the age of 19 years who is not an employee is not allowed where alcohol is being manufactured unless accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.

Can minors be involved in the preparation or bottling of products?

Minors cannot manufacture beverage alcohol and they cannot help parents or guardians mix ingredients or bottle the finished product.

Can minors work at U-Brew/U-Vin stores?

Minors can be employed at the stores but cannot be involved in the production of beverage alcohol. Minor employees must be supervised by adults at all times.

Can customers exchange product or bottled products with other U-Brew/U-Vin customers?

Under the terms of their liquor permit, U-Brew/U-Vin businesses are not allowed to sell, store, trade or organize trading of finished product.

Can store staff do the bottling of finished product?

No, except in exceptional circumstances where the customer is physically unable to complete the task. In those cases, the customer must be present when the help is provided.

What happens if the product made at a U-Brew/U-Vin is unsatisfactory?

It will be up to U-Brew/U-Vin owners to decide whether to accept returns of unsatisfactory product. If returns are accepted, the returned product must be destroyed and cannot be replaced with new finished product that the customer did not produce.

What happens to unclaimed products? Can it be bottled and sold to other customers?

Unclaimed product must be destroyed after the store makes a reasonable number of attempts to contact the customer. It cannot be bottled and sold to other customers.

Can finished product be stored at the U-Brew/U-Vin business?

A customer is not allowed to store finished product at the store. Once bottling has been completed, the product must be removed from the premises.

Can products made at liquor permitted U-Brew/U-Vin businesses be served and/or sold at functions likes weddings, cabarets, etc.?

No. Alcohol made at home or at a U-Brew/U-Vin facility cannot be served and/or sold at events for which a special occasion permit has been issued.