Skip to Main Content

Horse Racing Information

The Horse Racing Branch of SLGA is the main body responsible for governing, directing and regulating horse racing and the operation of race tracks in Saskatchewan

Horsemen Licence Application
Required forms for anyone involved in horse racing in any capacity

Family/Spouse Application
Use this form if you are a licenced owner, trainer, jockey/driver or official and your spouse or family member (who is not licensed) requires access to the track or backstretch.

Track Personnel Application
Use this form if you are employed by a racetrack and require a licence.

Licence Supplementary Form
To add a category to an existing licence or to replace a licence.

Temporary Owner Licence
To request a temporary licence for an owner.

Reciprocal Application 
This form is used by licencees who are licensed in another racing jurisdiction and who are not residents of Saskatchewan.

Download forms for lease registration, authorized agents, absentee trainers, and more.

Authorized Agent
To designate one person to act on behalf of a partnership/stable name or another licensee in all matters pertaining to horse racing.

Bill of Sale
Must be completed when one party sells a horse to another party.

Lease Registration
For licensees who are leasing a horse to run in the races.

Stable and Corporation Name Registration
Must be completed when an owner or owners have a share in a horse and are racing under a stable name.

Absentee Trainer
If a trainer is to be absent from the racetrack, he must obtain another licensed trainer to substitute for him during his absence.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who has to be licensed to participate in horse racing? 

Anyone who is directly involved in any capacity in racing must be licensed by SLGA (ex. owners, jockeys, association employees, stable employees). The horse racing fee table is available here.

What are the rules of horse racing?

What if I disagree with a decision made by SLGA regarding a horse racing sanction?

Any licensing party who disagrees with a SLGA decision has the right to apply to the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Licensing Commission (SLGLC) for an appeal. The SLGLC is an independent, quasi-judicial body which reviews SLGA decisions with respect to licensing, registration, cancellation and suspension issues.