Skip to Main Content

Cost Recovery Permit

This permit authorizes the sale of alcohol at a price sufficient to recover the costs of providing beverage alcohol service at the event.

In this section:

  1. Eligibility
  2. How to Apply
  3. Restrictions
  4. Minors
  5. Additional Information


Cost Recovery Special Occasion Permits are available only for private family celebrations and events, such as weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, retirement celebrations, and other family functions.

How to Apply

The best way to get your Special Occasion Permit is to apply online. All alcohol served at your event must be purchased from a Saskatchewan liquor retailer or a Saskatchewan craft alcohol manufacturer. Homemade beer and wine, including product made at licensed U-brew/U-vin facilities, can be served at no charge at family events. All receipts for purchased alcohol must be onsite at the event in order to make the permit valid. Organizers should apply a minimum of 10 days in advance of the event.


Cost Recovery events must be open to invited guests only and cannot be publicly advertised. 

With the exception of spirits and liqueurs, the maximum charge per standard drink is $3.00.  

The maximum charge for a spirit or liqueur beverage is $3.00 per ounce. With the standard serving size for spirits and liqueurs recently increasing to 1.5 ounces, the maximum charge for a 1.5 ounce spirit or liqueur beverage at a Cost Recovery permitted event is $4.50.


Cost Recovery permits are typically endorsed so that minors may attend as non-drinking patrons or staff, either with or without their parent, legal guardian, or spouse that is of legal age. In exceptional circumstances, SLGA may determine that minors should be prohibited from attending a Cost Recovery special occasion event. 

Minors may not attend a liquor permitted event in any capacity if the event offers adult entertainment involving minimal clothing, pole dancing, burlesque, or similar performances.

Minors  cannot purchase or consume alcohol,  nor act in   any way in the sale or service of beverage alcohol, including selling drink tickets, serving beverage alcohol, or collecting used drink containers.

Additional Information

 A supply of food must be available to patrons  during the permitted event. Light meals (e.g., appetizers, cheese/vegetable trays) and/or pre-packaged snacks (e.g., potato chips, peanuts) would be considered sufficient for event guests. Ideally, this food would be available throughout the event, but the event host may also choose to provide food at a specific time. 

Non-alcoholic beverages must be available at all times during the permitted event. 

Cost Recovery permits are valid for a maximum of 12 hours.